The fall is a great time for cozy, hearty meals, right?! One of our favorites is old school one: bangers and mash!
Check out this healthier version, with beet + potato mash for some extra nutrients (and the same amount of deliciousness - or more!)!
Ingredients for mash
2lb bag of fingerling potatoes
1 bunch of beets (3-4 medium beets)
Pasture-raised butter (or ghee/EVOO if dairy free)
Salt and pepper to taste
Up to 1 cup milk of choice
1 bulb of garlic
Scallions to top if desired
Ingredients for green beans
Fresh green beans
Salt and pepper or spice of choice
Ingredients for "bangers"
High-quality chicken sausage (ideally free-range!) - we like Applegate or Bilinski's brand
(For vegan/vegetarian option, obviously replace this with meat alternative - we love Beyond Meat Italian sausage!)
Directions for mash:
1) Rinse potatoes and beets; peel beets if desired. Cut beets into 1/2 inch cubes
2) Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil and then drizzle EVOO on the baking sheet
3) Put potatoes (whole) and cut-up beets onto baking tray, drizzle with more EVOO until well covered
4) Cut top off garlic bulb, exposing the tops of the garlic cloves - drizzle with a tiny bit of EVOO and wrap bulb loosely with aluminum foil (leaving the top exposed) - set either on the baking tray or directly on oven rack
4) Roast beets/potatoes/garlic at 375 for nearly an hour - poke potatoes with fork to see if they are soft (if so, they are done)
5) Take out of oven and let cool for about 30 minutes
6) Put them in a large mixing bowl, add butter (if still hot - otherwise, melt the butter in microwave for 30 seconds) and add milk gradually, mixing with a hand mixer
7) Once thoroughly mashed, add salt and pepper to taste if desired
Directions for green beans:
1) Rinse and snip ends if needed
2) Put on a baking tray covered in aluminum, and coat well with EVOO, minced garlic, salt or any other spice you’d like
3) Put them in the oven when you take out the potatoes and let them cook for 30 minutes or until slightly wrinkled looking (but be careful not to burn them!)
Directions for sausage:
Pan fry based on directions on label. Be sure to cook thoroughly!
Serve together. ENJOY!